If you’re not able to go fishing during the day, it can be challenging to catch anything in the dark hours of dawn or night. Most fish are attracted to plankton or small baitfish, which are only around in lighter conditions. So how can you attract fish to your boat so that you can get a decent catch?
That’s where an underwater fishing light comes in. These work to attract things such as zooplankton and smaller baitfish, which then attract the larger gamefish that you’re after. However, there are so many different types of products to choose from on the market.
Do you want a light that you hook up to an external battery? Do you want a fishing light that uses batteries or a power cord?
There’s no need to get bogged down in tons of research so that you can find the best underwater fishing light. We’ve done all the hard work for you so that you can simply hit “buy”, and get fishing.
We’ve selected the 15 best underwater fishing lights to suit a variety of fishing needs. Whatever you need an underwater fishing light for, you can rest assured that the below products will be perfect for your needs.
We’ve picked the best submersible battery powered fishing lights, and the best brightest underwater fishing lights to help you.
5 best submersible battery powered fishing lights
The Linkstyle submersible fishing light with a 6M power cord will be perfect for your fishing needs. Simply hook it up to your external battery and it will be ready to go. This light comes with 120 LEDs and a brightness rating of 1,000 lumens.
A great feature of this particular light is that it is fully waterproof. So it can be submerged under the water to better attract the baitfish you need for that bigger catch. It also gives you 360 degrees of light output for more efficiency.
- Fully waterproof – can be submerged for better results
- 360 degree lights – gives you full coverage to attract bait
- Versatile – can be used to attract a range of fish
- Weights – the light will float if not attached to a small weight
The SAMDO LED underwater fishing light with battery clip is ideal if you want to choose from a range of colors. While green light is the usual standard for underwater fishing lights, you can also choose between blue and white.
This will be the fishing light you need to attract a wide array of fish. This particular fishing light is also available at a more competitive price.
- Battery clips included – simply hook up to an external battery and it will be ready to go
- 3 colors – choose between green, blue, and white for your needs
- Budget friendly – available at a competitive price
- Brightness – some customers found this wasn’t as bright as some competitive products
The Kilofly 4 set battery powered underwater fishing lights are the best pick if you’re wanting a set of fishing lights which don’t need an external battery.
These lights are powered by 3 replaceable button batteries for ease. These battery operated lights are also super bright! Each light contains 3 high lumen LEDs which give a full 360 degrees projection of light.
- Button batteries - no need to rely on an external power source
- Set of 4 - gives you plenty of fishing lights to last you longer
- Deep submersion - can be submerged up to 2,100 feet
- Switch - some customers struggled to figure out how to switch the lights on
The Ankey LED submersible fishing light with a battery clip is perfect for versatility. This particular underwater light comes with an impressive 72 LEDs to give you a powerful 2,500 lumens to play with.
You’ll also get 360 degrees of light projection to attract more fish. This underwater fishing light has been built to last. It features a solid construction with an alloy frame, and won’t leak. It will be much more durable than a plastic light.
- 2,500 lumens - bright enough to attract lots of bait
- Versatile - includes battery clips and cigarette lighter connector
- Durable - built to last you for many years to come
- Weight - needs to be clipped to a small weight to prevent the light from floating
These Shaddock fishing LED battery operated underwater fishing lights are the perfect alternative to lights that need an external battery.
These particular underwater fishing lights are powered using 2 AA batteries. This could also make the lights rechargeable if you opted for rechargeable batteries.
You won’t have to worry about these lights breaking when you use them. They are 100% waterproof, and bright enough to attract an array of fish.
- 5 lights - includes a set of 5 battery powered lights
- Green lights - more efficient when fishing during dawn or during the night
- Battery operated - powered by 2 AA batteries for easier operation
- Batteries - need to be bought separately
5 best brightest underwater fishing lights
The Fire Water Marine 10,000 lumens underwater submersible fishing light is one of the brightest lights around. This particular fishing light gives off an impressive 10,000 lumens, which can help you to attract a range of fish to your boat.
It makes use of 300 of the brightest 5720 LED lights currently on the market. This particular underwater fishing light is available at a fairly mid range price, too. So you won’t be breaking the bank just because you want a brighter model.
- 10,000 lumens – one of the brightest lights on the market
- Saltwater resistant – can be used in a variety of fishing environments
- Affordable – won’t cost you hundreds of dollars for an efficient light
- Weight – needs a slight weight to weigh the light down in the water
What’s really great about the Green Blob Outdoors 15,000 lumens underwater fishing light with a 50ft cord is that you can choose how bright you want your light to be.
This particular model is 15,000 lumens, but there are also 7,500 lumens and 30,000 lumens models available.
Another handy feature of this light is the 50 foot cord. This means that you won’t have to worry about buying extension cables if you want to get the light deeper or further into the water.
- 3 brightnesses - choose between 7,500 lumens, 15,000 lumens, or 30,000 lumens models
- 50 foot cord - no need to buy extension cables to reach further in the water
- Durable - features a heavy duty design to last you longer
- Cleaning - will need to remove from the water once a week for cleaning away fungus
The Green Blob Outdoors 15,000 lumens underwater LED fishing light with 30ft cord will be the perfect fishing accessory for you.
This particular fishing light is portable, and can be hooked up to an external battery using the provided alligator clips or cigarette lighter plug. This efficient light can be used for up to 50,000 hours of continuous use.
- 15,000 lumens – gives you lots of light to attract lots of fish
- Portable – can be used in a variety of fishing situations
- Sturdy – designed to last you for many years to come
- Pricey – one of the pricier options on our list
If you’re looking for an impressive performance but at a reasonable price, then the Lightningsky 7,000 lumens LED submersible fishing light is your best bet.
This particular fishing light gives you a respectable 7,000 lumens but at a competitive price. Another great feature of this light is that you can choose between green and white lights.
You can also choose between 45 watts or 70 watts depending on your needs.
- Green or white - choose the best color for your style of fishing
- 7,000 lumens - brighter lights for more fish
- Budget friendly - more affordable than some of the other brightest lights on our list
- White light - green will be more efficient for fishing
5 best underwater fishing lights
The Lightningsky 1,080 lumens LED submersible fishing light is one of the most popular models on the market. This particular fishing light is available at a competitive price, and can be used to attract a range of fish. This fishing light can be used for up to 50,000 hours of continuous use.
- Budget friendly – more affordable than some competitive models
- Versatile – can be used to attract a variety of fish
- 360 degree view – can project light even further
- Small – some customers found the light was smaller than they expected
The IllumiSea ultra bright 3,450 lumens underwater LED fishing light gives you an impressive performance at a competitive price. This particular light can be used to attract a variety of fish to your boat.
- 360 degrees – can reach even further in the water
- 3 colors – choose between blue, green, and white
- 20 foot cord – gives you ample room between the battery and the water
- Smaller – some customers felt the light was on the small side
The Amarine Made 1,000 lumens underwater LED fishing light is another fantastic choice if you didn’t want to spend a small fortune on a quality fishing light. This light will deliver a solid performance without breaking the bank.
- 2 colors - choose between green or white
- Versatile - can be used in both freshwater and saltwater
- Durable - can be used for up to 50,000 hours of continuous use
- Shorter distances - can’t reach longer distances like more expensive models
The SF 108 LED underwater fishing light delivers a solid performance. This particular light gives off 2,000 lumens, making it a great choice at a more affordable price.
It has also been designed to be fully waterproof so that you can submerge it in the water.
- Waterproof - can be submerged for efficient fishing
- 2,000 lumens - gives you an impressive performance
- Versatile - can be used in both freshwater and saltwater
- Weight - may need an additional weight to keep the light submerged
The Bright Night 15,000 lumens underwater fishing light will be the perfect pick for those who want a super bright fishing light. This particular LED light can be used for up to 50,000 hours of continuous use.
- 15,000 lumens - gives you an impressive bright performance
- 360 degrees - can project light further
- Durable - built to last you for years to come
- Weight - may need an additional weight to ensure the light sinks
Finding the best underwater fishing light for your needs can be tricky. There are so many different factors to consider that it can often be an overwhelming experience. It may be tempting to opt for the first model that you stumble across.
However, there’s no guarantee that this product will be perfect for your needs.
We’ve put together this helpful buyer’s guide to give you all the information you need when it comes to choosing the best underwater fishing lights. As long as your preferred fishing light has considered these below points, you’ll know it will be ideal for your needs.
Take a look at everything you need to know below, or skip ahead to the frequently asked questions.
How it’s powered
Before you set out on your fishing expedition, you will need to think about how you are going to power your chosen fishing light.
You may already have a preference for whether you want a battery powered fishing light that you hook up to an external battery, or a fishing light that’s powered by smaller batteries.
Knowing how you want to power your fishing light will be crucial. You will need to ensure that you have the external battery you need for some lights. Other lights can be hooked up to your fishing boat’s power source.
If you don’t have an external battery to use or your boat won’t be able to power up the other type of fishing light, then you will need to opt for the fishing light that can be powered using AA or button batteries.
It will be important to pick an underwater fishing light that will be bright enough for your needs. The brighter the light of your chosen product, the more bait and fish that will be attracted to it.
This will make your fishing experience much easier than if you opt for a dimmer light that can’t attract as much for you to catch.
It will be worth taking a look at how many lumens the bulb is able to emit. The more lumens, the brighter the light will be.
Easy to use
There’s no point investing in the best fishing equipment if it’s going to be a pain for you to use. It will be best to buy the underwater fishing light that is going to make your life easier.
How easy will your preferred underwater fishing light be to operate? Can you easily power it up at a moment’s notice? Does it come with all the features you need for an effective fishing light?
These factors will all play a part in how easy it will be to use. The easier it is to use, the better.
Another factor to consider is how much budget you have to play with. The great news is that there is a whole range of underwater fishing lights to accommodate any budget.
However, if you want to get one of the more durable lights that will last you for many years to come, you may have to pay a couple hundred dollars to get what you need.
If you’re just after a small underwater fishing light that uses AA batteries, then these will be on the cheaper end of the scale.
One of the most important factors – of course – is choosing a fishing light that will be waterproof. Chances are you’re looking for a model that can be submerged in water. So you won’t want it to let any water in, as this can pose a hazard to the fish as well as yourself.
You should look for a fishing light that will be fully waterproof. This should allow you to submerge it in the water without damaging the light or putting yourself at risk.
There is often a range of colors available when it comes to underwater fishing lights. However, green is the preferred color for many fishermen. This is because the green color naturally attracts zooplankton in the water.
The color green also has a shorter wavelength than blue or white lights, so it’s able to travel further in the water.
This makes green underwater lights much more efficient for fishing. By attracting the food your fish will want to eat, you’ll be more likely to get your catch.
Frequently asked questions
What are the best underwater lights for fishing?
The best underwater fishing lights are:
- Lightingsky 1,080 Lumens LED Submersible Fishing Light
- IllumiSea Ultra Bright 3,450 Lumens Underwater LED Fishing Light
- Amarine Made 1,000 Lumens Underwater LED Fishing Light
- SF 108 LED Underwater Fishing Light
- Bright Night 15,000 Lumens Underwater Fishing Light
The best submersible battery powered fishing lights are:
- Linkstyle Submersible Fishing Light with 6M Power Cord
- SAMDO LED Underwater Fishing Light with Battery Clip
- Kilofly 4 Set Battery Powered Underwater Fishing Light
- Ankey LED Submersible Fishing Light with Battery Clip
- Shaddock Fishing LED Battery Operated Underwater Fishing Light
The best brightest underwater fishing lights are:
- Fire Water Marine 10,000 Lumens Underwater Submersible Fishing Light
- Green Blob Outdoors 15,000 Lumens Underwater Fishing Light with 50ft Cord
- Green Blob Outdoors 15,000 Lumens Underwater LED Fishing Light with 30ft Cord
- Lightingsky 7,000 Lumens LED Submersible Fishing Light
- IllumiSea 20,700 Lumens LED Underwater Fishing Light
Do underwater fishing lights work?
Yes, underwater fishing lights do work. Using underwater fishing lights can attract smaller baitfish and plankton, which the fish you’re after will be drawn to. Larger gamefish will also be drawn to your location to feed on these smaller baitfish.
You should find that fishing with an underwater fishing light will yield better results than fishing without one.
Why are underwater fishing lights green?
Underwater fishing lights are usually green because this color travels through the water quicker than white or blue lights. This is then able to better attract the baitfish that you’re after, so you can get those larger gamefish.
It’s worth noting that the majority of fishing lights will appear white when out of the water, too. This is because when they are placed in the water, the light will change to green because of the bulb reflecting off particles in the water.