Ice fishing for panfish is good fun until you’ve been sitting in your fishing chair in the cold without a bite for hours on end. Imagine making the effort to pack up all your gear and spending the whole day on the ice to return home empty-handed with nothing to show for your efforts.
We’re guessing if you’ve found yourself upon this article, then you may be having some troubles catching panfish. Not to make you feel worse, but panfish is some of the easiest types of fish you can catch, but don’t worry we’ll have you catching ‘em in no time.
We’ve tried and tested so many ice fishing lures for panfish and today we’ll be bringing you the best ones, so you’ll be able to easily catch one after another.
Some panfish may respond differently to these lures in various ice fishing spots, so it’s best to have a variety of lures in your tackle box so you’ve always got a backup if things begin to slow down.
Best Ice Fishing Lures For Panfish Reviews
The best way to maximize your chances of catching panfish is by having a varied collection of lures in your tackle box that you can switch between. That’s why this Plusinno lure kit set is our top choice.
The 302 piece set comes with jigs, worms, hard baits, and spoons all within a variety of colors and designs so we do not doubt that you’ll be able to catch some decent-sized panfish and other types of fish with these lures.
Whether you’re a seasoned fisherman looking to upgrade their gear, or someone just learning the ropes, it’ll suit a variety of skills and fishing levels.
All the fishing tackle is stored in a compact double-layered tackle box, so you can carry everything around with you and have all your tackle neatly displayed.
All the lures are made from high-quality corrosion-resistant materials that will be able to withstand years of fishing in different environments. The lures have realistic fish patterns and come in lifelike designs that will easily fool even the most stubborn panfish.
- Massive set - Everything you could need within one collection
- Realistic looking fish - Will easily tempt panfish and other kinds of fish to bite
- High-quality - Will be able to withstand years of fishing trips
- Comes with a tackle box - Everything is stored neatly inside and can be carried around
- Not all lures are suitable for panfish ice fishing - Can be used for other types of fishing though
If you’ve already got a decent collection of lures and you’re looking for some decent jigs, then this Goture set is a good one to go for.
These jigs drop quickly into the water and will create vibrations whilst it reaches the strike zone which will help the fish around to locate the lure and to strike more quickly.
The jig lures are painted with high-quality bright paint that will be easier for fish to see within darker or murkier waters and will increase your hook-up ratio. They’ll also glow darker, which will also attract larger panfish that are hiding in deeper areas under the ice.
The jig hook is made from strong carbon and stainless steel to ensure good penetration and to prevent any panfish from escaping.
The 10 piece set will be more than enough to get you some hookups, even on the slower days out on the ice.
- Quickly drops in the water - Allowing you to fish more efficiently
- Strong carbon hook - Ensures good penetration of the fish
- Glow in the dark material - Great for fishing at night/in cloudy waters/deep ice fishing
- Just one type of lure - Great if you only plan to fish for panfish
- Smaller than what they look in the picture - Adding live bait may alter the way it sits underwater
If you and your friends are keen jiggers and you’re looking to share the tackle between you, then this large collection of BassDash glowing paint jigs is better suited for groups.
This is a 24 assorted set with a mixture of teardrop, flat-belly, neon, and moon jigs that’ll suit all kinds of panfish fishing.
21 pieces of the set glow in the dark, which is great if you’re fishing in the middle of winter when the ice is thicker and the water is darker underneath.
However, all of the pieces offer great performance in bright environments as well due to the solid bright coating and detailed paint.
The jigs come in a compact tackle box with a foam pad to keep everything organized on your trip.
- Large 24 piece set - Ideal for sharing around with friends on a fishing trip
- Detailed and brightly painted - Great performance in bright environments
- Glow in the dark - Suitable for nighttime ice fishing or darker environments
- Foam padded tackle box included - Can keep everything well organized
- Quite small in size - Better suited for smaller panfish
These Berkley Gulp! Waxies are a firm favorite with seasoned panfish fishermen and also with panfish all year round but especially during the winter months when food reserves become more limited.
They come in either pink or white to suit whatever ice fishing conditions you’re in and they’re also scented like real bait to help lure in the panfish.
Add them directly onto your line, or you can choose to attach them onto a jig and wait for them to start biting.
Despite being so small, they’re pretty durable and will stay in your collection for many years to come.
- Durable - Will withstand many fishing sessions
- They come scented - Attracts more fish without having to scent them yourself
- They stay on the jig for ages - Minnows seem to get torn off the hook quicker
- Lots in the jar - Will last for ages if you do lose some
- Some panfish won’t even take the bait - Will need to try something else
Panfish love minnows and if your tackle collection is pretty much set, then just try adding this Rapala fishing lure to complete it.
This is a well-loved ice fishing lure due to the single hooks on each end and the triple hook on the bottom to increase your chance of hooking up panfish under the ice.
The bright glowy colors are ideal for fishing in deeper waters under thick ice where there is not much light, but also in brighter lit fishing environments where the colors will reflect the light well and attract the panfish.
The hooks are super sharp, so good news for you but not for those panfish. However, you’ll need to watch out for obstructions underwater as the fins on these little guys are prone to breaking off.
- Bright colors - Works for both lit and dimly lit fishing waters
- Sharp hooks - Will easily pierce biting fish
- Fisherman’s favorite - Can catch some large-sized panfish
- Fins easily break - Fishing in rocky or obstructive areas will break them