10 Best Ice Augers For Cordless Drill
If you have ever decided to brave the icy tundra to hunt for salmon or trout, then you can know one of the hardest things to do is to excavate beneath the surface of any ice. Not only do you need a proper drill, but you need something that will be able to withstand numerous drills.
These drills have a very unique shape with plenty of surface area that will allow them to drill through the ice. It will act in much the same manner as a bucket, allowing them to churn up hard ice from the surface and depositing it on the surface of the lake.
These drills are also very light, allowing you to carry them easily as part of your fishing kit. If it weighs too much, then you can be looking forward to severe repetitive strain injury. Ideally, a drill like this would weigh no more than 3 pounds and you should be able to carry it from your truck to the ice hole with very little fuss.
You’ll also want to be looking at the torque power of your drill. This is how much the drill can drag up from the ice. Ultimately your drill should have enough power to pull up 750 pounds of ice from one single session.
But where can you find one of these ice augers? What features do some of the best ice augers have for drawing up the most ice? How can you guarantee that your drill will be able to go beneath the surface without breaking? How much can you be expected to pay for one of these drills?
Well, if you are a keen ice fisher, then we would recommend that you read on. We have compiled a list of some of the most powerful ice augers that you can find on the market. We also have a buyer’s guide that will help you to determine what the best ice augers are to buy for your ice fishing needs.
10 Best Ice Augers For Cordless Drill
This first drill is extremely durable, made from solid steel, this one will make short work of the ice.
It can last over 4 hours of continuous drilling on the ice, which is perfect, as you won’t want a drill that gives up halfway.
This operates using a 3-mode adjustment, which is great for drilling wood, ice and metal - introducing the Ryobi P1813 One+ Cordless Hammer Drill.
This drill is about 8 inches in length, with a solid design that will help you to burrow through some of the hardiest of materials.
There is also a drive mode that will allow you to get through the ice in just under 30 minutes. This is great if you are planning on going very deep.
- This has a magnetic drill bit near the bottom of the drill. This is great for storing it in a metal container where it will stick to the surface.
- You can use this drill to get through a whole number of different substances - from metal to ice to thick oak.
- You can easily carry this drill, it is very lightweight. It will fit easily in your carry bag, giving you everything that you need for a decent drilling job.
- This can excavate 750 pounds of ice from the surface of any lake, you can get down to the water with your tip-up within 30 minutes.
- This drill has a lower torque than some of the other ice augers on the market. This might be difficult for you to use if you are a more experienced ice driller.
This next drillbit is very easy to operate, manufactured especially to withstand many hours of heavy-duty drilling.
This has an impressive torque of around 1,200 pounds, which means that you’ll be able to get under the ice in around 15 minutes - introducing the Milwaukee 2704-22 M18 Fuel ½-inch Hammer Drill/Driver Kit.
This drill kit has a very long-lasting battery, giving you everything you need when you are out on the ice away from a power supply. You can carry this one for quite a while without having to worry about it weighing you down.
- This has one of the better battery life spans of some of the drills on this list. You can be sure that you’ll have everything that you need for a reliable fishing trip.
- This drill has an amazing torque, churning up over 1,000 pounds worth of ice in hardly any time at all.
- This comes with a carry case and a charger, meaning that you won’t have to worry about wandering out into the wilderness without a power supply to back you up.
- This is a very durable drill, it will be able to operate just as well in the sub-zero temperatures on the day you bought it as it would 6 months later.
- The handle on this drill is quite weak, which might cause a problem if you drop it when you are out on the ice.
This next drill kit is amazing for creating deep holes in the ice. Not only is it very easy to use, but it prevents you from suffering significant hand fatigue.
It is also very easy to carry and will reduce the amount of repetitive strain that you will experience in your shoulders and back - introducing the Makita XPH11RB 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Sub-Compact Brushless Cordless 0.5-inch Hammer Driver-Drill Kit.
This has LED lights on it that will enable you to use this drill in the dark.
Ice night fishing is very popular, and if you fancy a go at it, then you’ll definitely need a drill with lights like this one. This one is very lightweight to carry and won’t weigh you down.
- This has an ergonomic design - this means that it is designed not to pull you down and cause you injury when you are out in the snow.
- This ice drill is very lightweight, giving you the ability to be able to wield it for longer, which will allow you to get into the water quickly to find your fish.
- This drill is also very resistant to rust and corrosion, so you can expose it to water over a long period without it malfunctioning.
- This comes with a protective carry case that will be super helpful when you are fishing on a stormy day.
- This one has a very low-quality drill, so you might find yourself succumbing to some of the bent and warped metal that comes with ice fishing.
This next drill set comes with plenty of drills and augers that will get you under the ice in no time at all.
This cordless unit dispenses with the need for any power, allowing you to sculpt the ice as you see fit.
This has a very powerful torque, with 18V batteries that allow you to go completely off-grid - introducing the Hitachi DS18DGL 18-Volt Cordless Lithium-ion ½-inch Compact Drill Driver Kit.
- This drill comes with an LED light that makes it the perfect drill for using with your nighttime ice fishing.
- You can crank this drill up to 400-pounds of torque, allowing you complete control and precision over your ice fishing.
- This whole drill weighs just under 4 pounds, meaning that you can carry it easily from your truck to the ice hole without having to worry about it sticking.
- This can deliver up to 1250 RPMs, which makes it one of the fastest drills that you can use for burrowing deep through the ice.
- The batteries on this drill are very weak, which might leave you with some issues when you are out on the ice.
Now we move onto the simple auger attachment for your cordless drill. This will give you plenty of holes that you can use to burrow deep into the ice.
Not only is this drill durable and easy to manipulate, but it is also built to last you for a few years - introducing the StrikeMaster MD-8 Ice Fishing Mora Hand Auger.
- This ice auger has an impressive 8-inch blade that will allow you to get nice and deep into the ice. It has a powerful torque that will enable you to get under the ice in 30 minutes.
- This has a great grip on the handle that will allow you to burrow deep into the ice. This is great for your cordless drills and will fit onto most attachments.
- This comes with a blade protector, which will increase the overall lifespan of your ice fishing blade.
- This comes with a stainless steel design that you can be sure will not tarnish or start to blunt over time.
- This drill cannot be laid on its side, as it will be much harder to refill with gas once you are done.
This next drill is amazing in terms of versatility, price and how long it will last you.
You can use this one to get under most materials, whether it is thick wood, metal or ice.
This drill works well and is very reasonably priced.
This is perfect for anyone new to ice fishing who might be reluctant to spend any of their hard-earned cash on a new drill - introducing the ION Straight Through Auger Bit.
- This auger will give you 66 holes of ice on one single charge, which is simply amazing considering the amount of power that it holds.
- This has a great torque for the price point, a lot of users have boasted about how this auger is both very compact and extremely powerful.
- This weighs only 22 pounds, so it will be very easy to carry from your pickup to your ice hole.
- This comes in a very bright color, which will make it very visible when you are drilling in icy conditions.
- This drill is not as hardy as some of the others on this list, with some drillers complaining of metal being bent.
This is another extremely versatile drill bit, coming in a long black design that can drill through ice for fishing, through earth for fence posts and through concrete for laying down foundations - introducing the SYITCUN 4x31.5-inch Earth Auger Drill Bit.
- Although designed for earth burrowing, this one will also work very well for getting under the ice and setting up your fishing tip-up.
- This bit will fit many different types of drills, from gasoline to cordless.
- This drill is extremely long, so if you are expecting to get into some thick sheets of ice, then this is the drill for you.
- This might not be completely suitable for mid-Winter fishing in the harshest of conditions.
This next drill bit is for getting under the ice, although it will rather be the ice in your drink as opposed to the ice stretching across a large lake.
If you want to treat yourself to a well-earned drink after a hard day of ice fishing, then perhaps you should invest in one of these wonderful ice excavators - introducing GE WR17X11939 Genuine OEM Ice Bucket Auger.
- If you want fresh ice in your drink, then why not carve it out yourself with your very own ice auger for your fridge?
- If you love drilling through the ice for your fish, then why not keep those muscles working by drilling through the ice in your fridge to get to your frozen fish?
- You’d have a hard time drilling through thick sheets of lake ice with this small, plastic auger.
Now moving back to the real augers, this one is made in China from only the best steel, allowing you to sheer through the ice without any issues whatsoever.
This is one of the better drills, allowing you to cut through thick sheets of ice in under 20 minutes - introducing the Strikemaster Lazer Hand Auger.
- You can use this one on ice, metal or earth, allowing you to get into the ground in less than 30 minutes.
- This drill will last you for many years, coming with plenty of steel and torque that will make drilling through ice feel like cutting sponge cake.
- This drill might not be the most powerful, but for the price, then this is a pretty decent unit.
Our final drill bit is probably the most professional, coming in a very solid and longer design that will allow you to get some distance between yourself and the treacherous ice that lies beneath you.
This comes in a lacquered steel that will last you for months if maintained properly - introducing K-Brands Auger Drill Bit.
- This is a very durable machine that you can use out on the ice or in your garden. The longer drill bit will allow you much greater precision and control over the angle of your cutting.
- This is good not just for cutting ice, but for drilling holes in the garden too.
- You can be sure that there will be plenty of durability in this drill, as it comes made with quality manufactured steel.
- You might have to be quite tall to wield this drill, as it is a lot longer than some of the other drill bits on this list.
Our Final Say
We hope that this list of some of the best ice augers on the internet has helped you to decide what exactly you’ll need from your particular style of ice fishing. Remember: you’ll need a drill that has a decent torque and can churn up enough ice from the ground.
We would also suggest that you find a drill bit that is made from the most solid metal. This is because, over time, the water and ice will start to affect the steel, causing a buildup of rust and corrosive elements.
Having an ice auger that is adaptable to your cordless drill will be very important, as you don’t want a drill that might wobble or, even more dangerously, come off halfway through your drilling.